Storm Iota – level 3
The most powerful storm of 2020, Storm Iota, hit the Caribbean island of San Andrés, Colombia, and it has made landfall on the northeast coast of Nicaragua.
The storm threatened to hit the same region that was devastated by Hurricane Eta only a few weeks ago. Residents moved to shelters and patients had to be evacuated from a local hospital. The extreme weather reached land with powerful winds of up to 250 kmph, and it caused severe damage along the coastline, with roads completely destroyed by the brute force of giant waves that smashed into the shore.
In the Caribbean islands of Colombia, at least two people have been killed and six injured, while others are still missing. The storm threatens to bring catastrophic winds, floods and landslides to large parts of Central America.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.