Story of a Saudi Woman – level 1
This is a story about a woman from Saudi Arabia. She is 18 years old. She says that her family abuses her.
She and her family go on holiday to Kuwait. She runs away from her family there. She flies to Thailand. From Thailand, she plans to go to Australia. She wants to ask for asylum. However, the Thai police stop her. They take her passport away.
She is in a hotel room. She is afraid that Thailand wants to send her back to Saudi Arabia. Things are bad for her there.
She asks people on the Internet for help. The UN sees her situation. The UN gives her refugee status. This means that she has some protection.
Difficult words: abuse (hurt, be very bad to), ask for asylum (ask if you can live somewhere in safety), refugee (a person who is running away from his or her country because he or she is not safe there).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos