Story of a Saudi Woman – level 2
Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun is an 18-year-old woman from Saudi Arabia. She says that her family abuses her, especially after she renounced Islam.
Her family and she went on holiday to Kuwait where she ran away. She got on a plane to Thailand and planned to go to Australia to ask for asylum. However, Thai officials stopped her and took her passport away.
She was afraid that Thailand would send her back to Saudi Arabia to her abusive family. She locked herself up in a Thai airport hotel room and asked people for help on social media.
The UN reacted to her situation and gave her refugee status. This gives her some protection.
Difficult words: abuse (hurt somebody physically or psychologically), renounce (say that you do not believe in something), ask for asylum (ask if you can live somewhere else in safety).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos