Story of a Saudi Woman – level 3
Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun is an 18-year-old woman from Saudi Arabia who says that her family tried to forcefully marry her off and has been abusive to her – especially after she renounced Islam.
When she was on vacation with her family in Kuwait, she ran away, got on a plane to Thailand and planned to go to Australia to ask for asylum. However, when she reached Bangkok, Thai officials stopped her and took her passport away.
She was facing deportation to Saudi Arabia, so she barricaded herself in a Thai airport hotel room and asked for help on social media. She said that going back to Saudi Arabia would mean abuse by her family or even being sent to jail.
In response to the events, the UN granted her refugee status, which means that she can enjoy certain rights and protections, which people agreed in the 1951 Refugee convention.
Difficult words: abusive (hurting someone physically or psychologically), renounce (say that you do not believe in something), ask for asylum (ask if you can live somewhere in safety), barricade (block oneself into somewhere), deportation (transport a foreigner from a country).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.