Story of Tumblr – level 1
Tumblr is a blog site. People can share content there. They can share explicit content. Tumblr becomes very popular. Yahoo buys it in 2013. It buys it for $1.1 billion.
In 2017, Verizon buys Yahoo (and Tumblr with it). Verizon changes Tumblr. It bans all explicit content. Verizon also puts ads on Tumblr. People do not like these changes. They leave. Now Tumblr is a small business. Automattic buys it for $3 million.
Automattic says that explicit content is going to stay banned. Automattic also owns WordPress.
Difficult words: content (the pictures and videos on a website), explicit (uncensored, without any limits of what it can show), ban (delete, stop), ad (a picture or writing which tells you to buy something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos