Story of Tumblr – level 3
Tumblr is a blog site which had a reputation as a home to users who are not cookie-cutter and allowed them to share explicit content without limits. The site was extremely popular and Yahoo bought it for $1.1 billion back in 2013.
That all changed in 2017, when Verizon bought Yahoo (and Tumblr with it). Verizon banned all pornographic content from the site and placed ads on Tumblr, both of which users did not take well. Tumblr lost 99% of its value, and Automattic bought it recently for as little as $3 million.
Tumblr’s new owner, Automattic, has said that it will not allow adult content on the site. While Automattic owns both Tumblr and WordPress, another long-standing blog site, it said that they will not turn them into one platform.
Difficult words: cookie-cutter (standard, normal), explicit (uncensored, without any limits of what it can show), content (the pictures and videos on the website).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos