Stranded sailor rescued – level 1
A man goes fishing. He is in the ocean in North Carolina. Rough weather comes. It keeps him from going home. He cannot use his radio.
He has some food with him. He fishes to get more food. He eats raw fish. He collects rain water. He drinks the rain water.
The Coast Guard finds him after 66 days! The Coast Guard takes him to hospital. His family is very happy that he is okay.
Difficult words: rough (bad), raw (not cooked), collect (to get).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about how this man survived?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.