Stranded sailor rescued – level 2
A man took his ship off the North Carolina coast to go fishing, but when rough weather prevented him from coming back, he had to survive out at sea. The weather also prevented him from using his communication electronics.
He had some food on his ship but resorted to using his fishing skills. He ate raw fish and drank the rain water that he collected.
After around 66 days, the Coast Guard found him and took him to hospital. His family was overjoyed to see him again.
Difficult words: prevent (to keep from doing something), resort to (to do something instead), to be overjoyed (to be extremely happy).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about how this man survived?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.