Strange Christmas tree in Paris – level 3
Hands up if you know what this is. Some expensive modern art? A huge upside down wine bottle stopper? Or something a little more… Well, use your imagination!
This green installation is actually a giant inflatable Christmas tree. The festive feature in central Paris has raised eyebrows as naughty passersby claim to see something entirely different.
Created by an American artist Paul McCarthy, the tree is located in Paris’s Place Vendôme. Apparently, the artist was actually assaulted by an aggravated Parisian who thought that the provocatively shaped item had no place in such a historic location. Created as part of the FIAC festival for contemporary art, the installation will be in place for three weeks. But apparently, not for Christmas, it seems.
Difficult words: huge (very big), installation (a piece of art), festive (relating to a festival/cheerful), feature (an aspect of something/a thing), naughty (mildly rude, typically related to sex), passerby (somebody who walks past something), claim (say), assault (attack), aggravated (angry), contemporary (present).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.