Strange clouds in Cape Town – level 3
Above the scenic cityscapes of Cape Town in South Africa, something odd is happening in the skies. As the clouds gather pace, panic ensues and people take to social media to show their fear.
There’s talk of tornadoes, UFOs and even aliens! But returning back to Earth for a moment, meteorologists are calling them “lenticular clouds”.
These are lens-shaped and typically stationary. They form when air flows along the surface of the earth and reaches some sort of obstruction point like a mountain. That then diverts the flow of moving air and because the airflow contains moist air within it, a series of large-scale standing waves can develop.
Then the alien-like shapes take form and when the moist air flows down to the back of the wave, the clouds eventually evaporate and vanish.
So next time you’re witness to a spectacle of the skies, it may be worth getting your phone out to record any unusual movements.
Difficult words: scenic (a beautiful outdoor view), cityscape (the appearance of a city), gather to (increase), pace (speed), ensue (to happen as a result of something), returning back to Earth (this is a pun—to talk about our planet Earth and to talk about something that is real), stationary (not moving), divert (to change the course of), moist (wet), vanish (to disappear), spectacle (something visually amazing).
Have you ever seen a cloud like this?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.