Strange robbery in North London – level 3
CCTV footage shows the moment a shopkeeper was robbed of hundreds of pounds after a thief had apparently put him in a trance.
The hypnotist criminal walked into the shop in North London and could be seen touching the owner on the arm. Within a few seconds, the shopkeeper appears to freeze and be spellbound.
Throughout the entire robbery, which only took 50 seconds, the thief can be seen talking and touching the man in a bizarre sequence of moves.
The suspect continues to distract the shopkeeper, as he goes through his pockets twice and steals the day’s takings. It’s only when the crook leaves, the man realises what’s happened.
Metropolitan Police said that the suspect’s distraction tactics had worked and the shopkeeper said he was momentarily unaware of what happened to him.
Difficult words: CCTV footage (security camera video), shopkeeper (a owner and manager of a shop), hypnotist (a person who makes people go into a trance), trance (a state of mind when you are not completely aware or awake), spellbound (fascinated), bizarre (strange), distract (when you stop somebody from concentrating on something), crook (a criminal).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.