Stuck cable car – level 2
A family in Germany got stuck in a cable car cabin over the Rhine River. The family was with a two-month-old baby and a toddler.
They had to wait 130 feet (40 metres) above the river for help. Emergency services blamed the strong winds.
Everybody abseiled down to a rescue boat. Nobody was injured. Firefighters also had to rescue two Americans who were in a different cabin.
Difficult words: toddler (a young child who is just beginning to walk), blame (to say something happened or couldn’t happen because of something else), abseil (to go down on a rope).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you afraid to use a cable car because something like this may happen?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.