Stuck cable car – level 3
A family in Germany has been rescued after getting stuck in a cable car cabin over the River Rhine.
The family with a two-month-old baby and a toddler, were left sitting tight for hours after one of the cable cars wheels dislodged, leaving them to dangle around 130 feet (40 metres) above the river.
Emergency services were called to the scene, blaming strong winds for the incident.
“It was very windy and it is very possible that a strong gust of wind moved the cabin in such a way that the wheel jumped out of its case and jammed the cabin. The pulling rope cannot go any further and all the other cabins.”
After abseiling down to a rescue boat, the family was eventually brought back to dry land.
Firefighters also had to rescue two Americans who were in a different cabin. No injuries were reported.
Difficult words: toddler (a young child who is just beginning to walk), sit tight (wait uncomfortably), dislodge (knock or force out of position), dangle (be held in the air), jam (make stuck), abseil (to go down on a rope), eventually (in the end).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.