Student Survives at the Grand Canyon – level 3
After she ran out of petrol, Amber VanHecke survived alone at the Grand Canyon for five days. The 24-year-old had no mobile phone signal, so she used rocks to spell out ‘HELP’, which a person in a paramedic helicopter eventually spotted. That helicopter took her home.
Over the five days, she said that other helicopters had flown by but had not seen her. When this helicopter came to land, she started to cry. The paramedic in the helicopter came out and asked her if she had called for help.
Difficult words: paramedic (a person who has training to do medical work but is not a doctor or a nurse).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.