Students lost in Turkish mountains – level 3
This is the moment a British student was rescued from a Turkish mountain where he and two friends were stranded for eight days.
David Mackie and his two Dutch friends had gone for a hike that was only supposed to last one day, but they got lost in bad weather and became stranded.
For eight days, the trio survived by eating insects, drinking spring water and sleeping in a cave.
“We only had food for the first day and it was eight days.”
“Even our first day, we didn’t have full food. We only had snacks for lunch, really.”
But luckily, David managed to use his phone, which only had two per cent battery, left to call the emergency services and the Turkish army was drafted in to save them.
All three tourists who are exchange students in Istanbul were airlifted from the mountainside to safety and will be sent back to their home countries to recover.
Difficult words: be stranded (when you are unable to leave somewhere), draft somebody in (to order somebody to do something), home country (the country that you were come from), recover (to get better).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.