Students save a woman – level 2
Chinese university students were playing in the snow on a beach when one of them saw something.
A woman was about 50 metres from the shore. The water was up to her thighs. She was trying to kill herself in the freezing seawater. The 23 students ran into the water and saved her.
After they brought her back on the beach, she ran away. Police think that the woman suffers from psychological distress.
Difficult words: shore (land along the edge of a sea), suffers from (when you have an illness and it makes your life more difficult), distress (extreme sadness/pain).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think of this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.