Successful test of Hyperloop – level 3
It may not look like much now, but this could be the future of transport. It’s called Hyperloop and this week it completed its first successful test in the Nevada desert.
If the idea becomes a reality, the Hyperloop will whisk people and cargo through low-pressure tubes at the speed of sound. The system will be fully autonomous, powered by electricity, and the pods will levitate, using electro-magnetism to reduce friction.
“It’s not about getting somewhere; it’s about being somewhere. We’re not trying to optimise the transportation experience — we’re trying to eliminate it. So we think this is great. I think you guys think this is great. What are we going to do? Let’s build it!”
This is just a prototype. The sled seen here accelerated to 116 mph (187 kph) in just over a second. But the real thing will, in theory, be a great deal faster again, completing the journey from San Francisco to LA in just 30 minutes.
Difficult words: whisk (to move quickly), friction (the force which slows down moving things), optimise (to improve), eliminate (to get rid of), sled (a thin, low vehicle).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.