Super Typhoon in Taiwan – level 1
This news is from south east Asia. A typhoon hits Taiwan and East China. Eighty-six people die. This was in July.
Now, there is another typhoon. It is a super typhoon. It hits Taiwan again. It brings strong winds and heavy rain. The winds blow at 216 kilometres per hour. The typhoon is the worst of the year.
Schools and businesses must close. Many homes are without power. 1,500 people evacuate.
The typhoon is the worst on Wednesday. On Thursday, it moves to China.
Difficult words: typhoon (a tropical storm), was (past of “is”), evacuate (move away because of a danger).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos