Super Typhoon in Taiwan – level 2
A super typhoon hit Taiwan and brought torrential rain. Winds of speeds of up to 216 kilometres per hour blew things around the streets.
Schools and businesses closed and 1,500 residents evacuated. Tens of thousands of homes were left without power. The typhoon was the most powerful storm of the year.
Taiwan felt the full force of the typhoon on Wednesday. On Thursday, the typhoon is going to move to China. It comes just over two months after another typhoon. That one killed 86 people in Taiwan and East China.
Difficult words: typhoon (a tropical storm), torrential rain (very heavy rain), resident (a person who lives somewhere).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos