Super Typhoon in Taiwan – level 3
Super typhoon Meranti has brought torrential rain and winds of up to 216 kilometres per hour to Taiwan. This is the most powerful storm of the year. It forced the closure of schools and businesses and the evacuation of around 1,500 residents. Tens of thousands of homes have no power.
In Taitung County, people saw huge waves crashing over harbour fortifications. Elsewhere, there was debris flying through the air.
Taiwan felt the full force of Meranti through Wednesday and into Thursday when people expected the storm to crash into China. The typhoon comes just over two months after typhoon Nepartak killed 86 people in Taiwan and East China.
Difficult words: torrential rain (very heavy rain), debris (waste matter, pieces of things), fortification (a barrier).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos