Supermarkets go green – level 2
Supermarkets are trying to be more environmentally friendly, but it is not an easy task. Customers do not want to pay more money, and investors do not want lower profit.
Tesco is Britain´s biggest supermarket, and the company has a plan to be carbon neutral by 2035. It is very difficult, as only a few customers care about the environment, and they will pay more money for environmentally-friendly products. Most people care only about the price and not about the environment. Investors believe that it is important to go green, but they do not want to lose money.
Tesco believes that it is possible to reach its goal. The company uses less plastic, uses farming which needs less water, and sells unwashed potatoes which last longer on shelves.
Difficult words: investor (a person or organization which puts money into a business to make money later), profit (money from a business activity), carbon neutral (an activity which does not release carbon dioxide into the atmosphere).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.