Sweden and Coronavirus – level 2
Countries around the world are ending lockdowns, and millions of people are starting to live more normal lives. However, the lives of Swedish people are not changing very much.
Sweden chose a different way to deal with the coronavirus. The Swedish government banned public meetings of more than 50 people, and older people had to stay in their homes. Schools, restaurants and businesses stayed open, and people did not have to wear masks. The government wanted to minimize the impact of the coronavirus on the economy and society.
People in Sweden welcomed this strategy; however, Sweden has the most COVID-19 deaths from all Northern European Countries. Experts say that it is too early to say if Sweden’s strategy was good.
Difficult words: lockdown (when people cannot go to shops and other places because of an emergency), minimize (to make something as small as possible), impact (the consequence, the outcome), strategy (how someone solves a problem).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.