Swedish Taxi-pod – level 2
Students in Goteborg’s busy city centre in Sweden do not need to take a bus or a traditional cab to travel through the city any more. They can use a new service – a Taxi-pod which is a three-wheeled yellow and slightly miniature battery-powered car.
The company Burst was founded in November 2014 with the idea to beat traffic. The idea is to solve the problem with traffic in centres of big cities. The company would like to offer a perfect service for short trips in the city. It also wants to reduce emissions in central areas.
People on the bus usually travel for a longer distance, they do not need to be in a big hurry, and they do not need to get straight to their final point. But for lots of people, it is very important to travel quicker.
It is not only speed that concerns the makers of these cars, but improving the quality of air as well. They see a huge potential for solving traffic jam problems and problems with air quality in many cities across the globe.
One of the passengers thinks that the Taxi-pods are environmentally friendly, cheap, easy to use in the city and fun.
Difficult words: pod (a small car), beat traffic (travel fast, do not get into a traffic jam), concern (worry).
You can watch the video news in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.