Swim Around Britain – level 3
Extreme sportsman Ross Edgley is planning to swim all the way around Britain’s coastline without touching dry land once.
People estimate that the 2,700-kilometre swim will take him 100 days and he will burn 1 million calories. That in itself will be no easy task because as he explained the human body is simply not meant to be in the water for 100 days.
For example, you can develop something called ‘salt mouth’ which is when your tongue and throat swell up because of salt water exposure. For that reason, Ross will have to eat foods which can be liquefied like fruits, smoothies or protein shakes.
When he recently went for a 48-hour, non-stop swim, he managed to get trench foot, which is a condition when the surface tissue blackens and dies off. If all goes well, he will end this swim in London on the 8th of September.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.