Swimmer breaks world record – level 1
Barbara Hernandez is a swimmer. She comes from Chile. She breaks the world record in swimming.
Hernandez swims between the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans. She swims one nautical mile. One nautical mile is 1.852 kilometers. She does it in 15 minutes and three seconds. It seems easy. But Hernandez swims in Southern Chile. The ocean is very cold there. It has only between six to seven degrees Celsius. Hernandez must be very careful. She could get hypothermia. It is a dangerous situation when the body temperature gets too low.
No woman or man swims in that place before. Hernandez is very happy. She wants all Chilean people to be happy with her.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.