Swimmers See a Shark – level 3
US Coast Guard members had a close encounter with a shark during a dip in the Pacific Ocean last week.
More than 30 coast guard members decided to go swimming during their break on Tuesday when suddenly they spotted a shark that was swimming about 30 feet away. The shark was approximately 7 feet long, and it repeatedly tried to approach them. All the crew members in the water swam to get out of the ocean, and some made their way to a small boat.
A maritime specialist that was on the larger boat began firing at the shark, and each burst briefly took the shark off its path; however, it kept turning back, so the man had to continue firing until all of his shipmates were safe. All crew members made it safely out of the water, and they confirmed that the shark was not harmed.
Difficult words: dip (a swim), encounter (an unexpected meeting), maritime specialist (a person whose job is to guard coasts and ports), shipmate (a person who serves with another person on the same ship).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.