Swimming for Human Rights – level 1
Twelve swimmers swim about 10 kilometres. They swim from California to Mexico. They want to support human rights. They want to show their solidarity with the world. One hundred schoolchildren meet them in Mexico. They cheer for them.
The event organiser says that the swim is not a protest. She says that the swim is for human rights. It is to show that every life is important.
Difficult words: support (help), human rights (the belief that everybody is free), solidarity (if you show solidarity, you show that you see someone’s problems and that you are sorry).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.