Swiss train crash – level 2
Many people think that the trains in Switzerland are very safe and efficient, and many Swiss people ride trains.
However, recently a commuter train and a high-speed train crashed near Zurich. Some parts of the trains came off the train tracks, but they did not fall over.
Emergency workers helped the people that were on the trains. The people that run the trains in Switzerland closed the part of the train tracks where the crash happened.
Difficult words: efficient (when you do something and you don’t lose time, money or energy), commuter train (a train for people who go a long way to work), train track (the two metal lines that trains run on top of).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are trains safe where you live?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos