Swiss train crash – level 3
Dozens of people have reportedly been injured in a train collision in Switzerland. The collision happened this morning at the train station in the Swiss town of Rafz, around 19 miles north of Zurich.
The crash was between a commuter train and a high-speed train on its way from Zurich to Stuttgart. Footage from the scene shows that some carriages were knocked off the tracks but not overturned.
Ambulances, fire and rescue services rushed to the scene. Meanwhile, service on the line between the towns of Bulach and Schaffhausen has been suspended.
The Swiss rail service is generally admired for its safety and efficiency. The Swiss are the biggest users of trains in Europe.
Difficult words: reportedly (according to what some people say), collision (a crash), commuter train (a train for people who go a long way to work), footage (video), scene (a place where something happened), overturn (to fall on the side or to turn upside down), service (a normal trip you can take on a train), rush (to hurry), suspend (to stop), admire (to like something), efficiency (doing something without wasting time, money or energy).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.