Synagogue Attack – level 2
Last Wednesday in the eastern German city of Halle, about 70 to 80 Jewish people were celebrating the holiday of Yom Kippur at a synagogue. Yom Kippur is the most important holiday of the Jewish calendar.
A man with a gun could not open the doors of the synagogue. He started shooting outside and killed two people. The police arrested the attacker after he ran away from the scene.
Before being arrested by police, the suspect shared a video on a social media site. In his video, he said that most of the world’s main problems are caused by the Jews.
The Israeli leader said that the attack was an example of European anti-Semitism.
Difficult words: synagogue (a place of worship for Jews; a religious place), anti-Semitism (Judaism discrimination; prejudice or violence toward Jews).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.