Syria returns to Arab League – level 2
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad attended a summit of the Arab League in Saudi Arabia.
The country had to leave the bloc 12 years ago because of harsh actions against pro-democracy protests. Assad hoped that a time of peace and cooperation would start in the region. Critics argue that his rule in Syria is weak, parts of the country are beyond his control and millions of refugees are against him. Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates stopped supporting the Syrian opposition, but the Western still has sanctions against Assad’s regime.
The summit aims to address conflicts in Sudan and Yemen. Also, the Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, attended the summit to discuss his peace plan for Ukraine with Arab states.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What implications do the attendance of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy have on the Palestinian-Israeli conflict and US-Ukraine relations?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.