Tacos with insects – level 3
Now, it’s not a dish for everyone, certainly not for those afraid of bugs, but one small Mexico restaurant is offering up a new food challenge – tacos with insect toppings!
Yeah, La Cocinita de San Juan even has a full list of Mexican-style tacos with wild menu items such as scorpions and spiders. And they really are wild, says restaurant owner Pedro Hernandez.
“It’s really hard to catch them. They’re wild, so there are people who are in charge of going into the hills to go and lift up the rocks and uncover them in the weeds. You have to be really careful when you grab them because the scorpions, if they sting you, those little scorpions will send you to hospital.”
So, how do you get your customers to eat something they would normally send back to the kitchen? Well, apparently some of the dishes are easy to disguise.
“Scorpion doesn’t have a very characteristic flavour, really. It’s the preparation that really gives it a characteristic flavour. Then, they’ll eat it. Because otherwise, they’ll say, ‘No wait, I’m not going to eat a scorpion,’ then seeing it all prepared, they eat it and say, ‘Well, it’s good.’”
Well, we don’t know about you, but we’d rather stick to a burger!
Difficult words: topping (something you put on top of food), wild (something that lives in nature AND something that is very exciting and strange), weed (wild plant), grab (take), disguise (make look or taste like something different), send back to the kitchen (tell the restaurant you don’t want to eat something because it has something disgusting in it), stick (pick something familiar or normal).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.