Taiwan–USA Meeting – level 1
Taiwanese and American officials meet. It is the first USA–Taiwan meeting in 40 years. Taiwan says that security is discussed at the meeting.
China is not happy about the meeting. It does not see Taiwan as a separate country. It sees Taiwan as its territory. Taiwan feels differently. China asks the USA not to talk to Taiwan.
Difficult words: official (a person who works for the government – the bosses of a country), security (safety – how safe a country is, usually safe from other countries), separate (different from, not part of China).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.