Taiwanese Taxes Protests – level 2
In Taiwan, thousands of protesters came together for a tax reform for the 3rd time in seven days. An activist group organised the protests, and its work on tax reform started years ago.
The ‘yellow vest’ protests in France inspired the group to try again. The French protests stopped the government from raising a gas tax.
People in Sweden, Israel, and Belgium also held similar protests. In Taiwan, it is not known if the protests will change anything.
Difficult words: tax reform (a change to taxes – the money you pay to help run a country and its government), activist (a person who wants to make changes in a country), inspire (give someone hope to try to do something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.