Talking fox from Pakistan – level 3
Thousands of families have been flocking to Karachi Zoo. Mumtaz is a mythical half-fox, half-woman creature who also talks to visitors.
“The people who visit here go away happy and knowing that they feel happy makes me happy too. There is a bond of love between me and them. Life is very short. It should be spent spreading smiles.”
The creature is played by a man who dresses as a woman who looks like she is attached to the body of a fox.
Thirty-three-year-old Murad Ali is the man behind Mumtaz, playing her character for 12 hours every day.
He inherited the role from his father who died 16 years ago. In addition to witty conversation, Mumtaz is also known as a fortune teller. Students come to her with questions about their exam results.
“I had a nice talk with her. I’m really happy. I’m happy I came here.”
The director of the zoo says Mumtaz became a permanent exhibit after a few people from a circus offered to set up the attraction in the zoo 40 years ago.
Mumtaz has always been played by men because they are able to respond better to those who harass Mumtaz.
Difficult words: flock (come somewhere in large numbers), inherit (to receive something from your parent), witty (clever and entertaining), exhibit (attraction), harass (say bad things).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.