Tall Buildings in Alexandria – level 2
A 13-storey housing block was collapsing in Alexandria, Egypt, but luckily, another high-rise caught it. The building is now leaning against it.
A building collapsing is not rare in Alexandria. One high-rise collapses in the port city every year. An Egyptian engineer explained the reason. He said that most people who build in the city are not engineers, and they do not hire engineers, either.
The owner of the building wanted to tear it down, but the government told him to fix it. He said that he cannot be responsible for the building and people if it collapses. In the end, a government construction team is tearing the tower down floor by floor.
Difficult words: high-rise (a high building), engineer (a person who can build buildings), hire (pay to work for you), tear down (destroy).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos