Tallest Lego tower – level 3
Hungary has managed to set a new world record by building the highest Lego tower ever.
Construction of the 36-metre Lego tower began on Wednesday, with several school children taking part. The aim was to break the current US record of 34.43 metres.
Officials from the Guinness World Record company arrived in Budapest on Saturday to verify the record.
The Mayor of the city’s fifth district, Antal Rogan, said that he hoped the record would promote Budapest to the world.
“This is a modern obelisk behind us and it shows that, with lots of minute engineering knowledge and diligence, how we call attention to the fact that this is one of the most beautiful squares in Budapest and I hope we will be able to achieve a new world record. And if this happens, we will be able to draw even more tourists to Budapest.”
After Rogan placed the last piece on top of the tower, the official measurement showed that, indeed, a new record was set. The tower will be disassembled on Monday.
Difficult words: minute (small), obelisk (triangular tower), diligence (hard work), disassemble (to take something apart).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos