Tasmania’s Giant Lobsters – level 2
A former lobster hunter is now helping Tasmania’s giant lobsters. The giant lobster is a freshwater crustacean. It is under threat by habitat destruction and fishing. Experts think that there are less than 100,000 lobsters left in the country.
The man says that giant lobsters were as big as 6 kilos in the past, but people killed them off long ago. The current giant lobsters can be as big as a medium-sized dog and have claws strong enough to break bones.
Difficult words: former (-ex), crustacean (a water animal that has a tough shell and a body that is in segments – parts), under threat (in danger), habitat destruction (when people destroy an animal’s natural home).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.