Tattoos at Work – level 3
A concilation service warned employers that they could be missing out on top staff because they are rejecting candidates with tattoos. The conciliation service said that negative attitudes about visible tattoos are outdated.
A third of young people have a tattoo but some firms and individual managers are worried about the image the tattoo would give to potential customers or clients.
One tattoo artist said that he has all kinds of people coming to see him – MPs, doctors, lawyers, and policemen have visited him. All of them were aware that prejudice is out there regarding tattoos.
In October 2014, people sent home a trainee teacher from England on her first day at a Catholic school because of her tattoos.
Difficult words: conciliation service (a service which helps employers and employees solve problems), prejudice (an opinion which is not based on reason or actual experience).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos