Teenage mothers in Venezuela – level 3
This display showing mannequins of pregnant schoolgirls at a Caracas mall is shocking shoppers and stirring debate over sex education in Venezuela.
Two local charities have dressed up three mannequins behind a shop window, showing the girls with bulging stomachs under their blue uniforms, used by schoolchildren there until the age of 15.
The idea is apparently to draw attention to an adolescent pregnancy rate they say is one of the worst in South America, with one girl under 18 becoming pregnant every three minutes and 23 per cent of all births coming in at that age category.
“We are not saying maternity is bad. This is not what we are saying. We are trying to say there is a time for everything and this is not the moment.
This is a time when girls are beginning their life as teenagers, when they are looking for an identity and are going through a series of changes, which are complicated enough at this stage without adding a pregnancy to the equation.”
The display will run for a month and may be extended to other malls around the nation of 30 million people.
Difficult words: mannequin (a model used to display clothes in a shop window), stir (start), bulging (round and big), rate (quantity or frequency), maternity (being a mother), identity (who you are), equation (a situation in which there are several factors), extend (make bigger).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.