Teenager on a plane – level 3
CCTV captures many things. Many things that seem pretty normal to start with but with a backstory become increasingly unbelievable.
This is a view of a plane, obviously, at Maui in Hawaii. But what is not so obvious is who this figure is or what he or she is doing. Officials at Kapalua Airport released this footage after the story of a stowaway emerged, as the teenage Somali boy did after lodging himself in the wheel well of a Boeing 767 jet before it flew from California to Hawaii. He braved freezing temperatures and had little oxygen at high altitude but became one of only a fraction of people to survive this ordeal.
After being confronted by an airport worker, he was taken away to hospital for treatment and has since been placed in protective custody. He later told investigators he was trying to go to Africa to find his mother.
Difficult words: CCTV (security camera), stowaway (somebody who hides on a vehicle), lodge (place himself somewhere), brave (to deal with a difficult situation), ordeal (difficult experience), protective custody (being kept somewhere for the person’s own protection).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.