Teenager steals an iPad – level 3
A thief who stole an iPad from a four-year-old child in July has been caught by police in Florida. This CCTV footage shows the moment the teenager snatches the tablet from the hands of the child at a beauty salon in Tamarac. The victim was reportedly playing games on the iPad while he waited for his mother who works at the salon.
Police released the video footage and a description of the teenage robber, offering a $3,000 reward for information leading to his arrest. According to news reports citing the Broward Sheriff’s Office, the arrest was made this month when the 16-year-old thief was apprehended by police and charged with one count of strong-arm robbery.
In a positive twist to the story, it’s also reported that on hearing about the robbery, Olympic gold medalist Howard Davis Jr. donated a replacement iPad to the salon.
Meanwhile, the teenager remains in police custody while prosecutors decide whether or not he should be tried as an adult.
Difficult words: CCTV (security camera), footage (video), snatch (steal; take quickly), apprehend (arrest), custody (prison), prosecutor (somebody like a lawyer).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.