Teenagers and Instagram – level 3
Instagram said on Tuesday that it would be stricter about the topics that it recommended to teenagers in the photo-sharing app, and it would nudge them toward different topics if they dwelled on one for a long time.
The decision is to better protect teenage users, and it comes in the time when Instagram and its parent company Meta both are in trouble for the ways that their services present danger for younger users and cause body image issues for teenage girls.
Released company documents showed that the company knew long ago that Instagram had harmful mental effects on teenage girls.
Instagram said that early next year, it would introduce its first tools for parents and guardians to see how much time their teens spent on the app and to set time limits.
It also said that it would continue its pause on plans for a version of Instagram for children, a project that they stopped because of the growing opposition.
Difficult words: nudge (to push someone slightly or gently in order to draw their attention to something), dwell on (to think, speak or write at length about a particular subject, especially one that is a source of unhappiness or anxiety), opposition (people who disagree with you).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.