Telescope Collapses – level 2
The Arecibo Telescope was a telescope in Puerto Rico. People built it in 1963 into a natural hole.
The telescope´s dish was 305 meters wide and its receiver weighed 900 tons. The telescope was very old and damaged, so officials decided to remove it. More than 200 people still used it and they tried to change the official decision.
Last week, the telescope collapsed itself. A cable snapped and the receiver fell 100 meters onto the dish below.
In the past, the telescope was very important and many scientists from all over the world used it. Besides other things, they used it to search intelligent life outside the earth. It was a part of scenes in many films and games, for example, in the 1995 James Bond film ‘Golden Eye’.
Difficult words: telescope (a machine or device that people use to watch things that are far away), receiver (a part of a machine or device that gets signals and changes them into sounds), collapse itself (to fall in on something), snap (to break suddenly, usually with a sharp sound).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.