Telescope Collapses – level 3
The Arecibo Telescope was a 305-meter radio telescope that was built in 1963 into a natural sinkhole at the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico.
Last week, a cable above the observatory snapped, leading to its total collapse. The telescope’s 900-ton receiver platform fell more than 100 meters onto the reflector dish below. However, the radio telescope was already damaged, and it was scheduled to be demolished in November because of pre-existing damage.
The Arecibo Observatory played a key role in astronomical discoveries for more than half a century. It was primarily used for research in radio astronomy and atmospheric science, as well as programs that searched for extraterrestrial intelligence. Its unique and futuristic design led to several appearances in film and gaming. In 1995 it appeared in the fight scene in the James Bond film ‘Golden Eye’.
Difficult words: sinkhole (a hole formed by water), extraterrestrial intelligence (intelligent life outside the earth), futuristic (looking like something from the future).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos