Tennis Player Ends Career – level 2
Maria Sharapova was born in Russia, and she became famous when she beat Serena Williams in the Wimbledon final. Sharpova was only 17 years old.
She was a very successful tennis player, and she won many titles. She became the best player in the world four times.
In 2016, she failed a drug test. The anti-doping agency tested her positive for a drug that was newly banned. The agency did not let Sharapova play tennis for two years. However, the court found out that Sharapova took the drug before the ban.
Sharapova returned to tennis. She had many shoulder injuries and surgeries, and she did not play very well. She ended her career at the age of 32.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.