Tennis Players Must Stay in Hotel Rooms – level 1
The Australian Open is a popular tennis event. It lasts for two weeks. The world’s best tennis players go to the Australian Open. The Australian Open starts on February 8.
This year is unusual. The reason is the coronavirus. Australia has strict rules about COVID-19.
Tennis players and their teams come on three planes to Australia. Some people from the same planes have COVID-19. 72 players must isolate. It means that they must stay in hotel rooms. They can leave their rooms for five hours every day. They can have training and meet their doctors.
Some players are angry. They say that they need more time for training. Novak Djokovic is the best player in the world now. He says that players can move to houses with tennis courts.
Difficult words: event (something that happens), strict (when people must do something that is very difficult for them), tennis court (a place where people play tennis).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos