Terrorist Attack in Las Vegas – level 3
The world has paid tribute to the victims of last Sunday’s Las Vegas shooting attack in which at least 58 people died and over 500 were injured. People have called the terrorist attack the deadliest mass shooting in US history.
In the United States, Donald Trump and the First Lady led a moment of silence on the White House South Lawn, people held a candle-lit vigil at the University of Nevada in Las Vegas, and musicians led prayers and tributes at the home of country music in Nashville. The Empire State Building in New York darkened its lights, and traders at the New York Stock Exchange observed a moment of silence.
In Europe, members of the European Parliament in Strasbourg also stood in a silent tribute, and people switched off the lights of the Eiffel Tower in Paris in homage to the victims.
Difficult words: pay tribute (show respect), vigil (a moment of silence), prayers (a religious service), observe (take part in), homage (a special honour or respect shown publicly).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos