Tesla is no longer the biggest electric carmaker – level 2
China’s BYD quietly became a big player in the electric vehicle (EV) market. The company surpassed Tesla to become the world’s largest seller of EVs.
BYD’s success is a combination of good planning and support from the Chinese government. Government incentives, tax reductions, and a special system of motivation are behind BYD’s rise. The company makes 75% of its parts in-house, which makes the cars a lot cheaper.
BYD is expanding in the world, but it also faces problems, especially in markets where it is less recognized.
Difficult words: surpass (to become bigger or greater than somebody else), incentive (something what supports you to do something, especially money), recognized (when many people know someone or something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What are some of the challenges that BYD faces as it expands globally in the electric vehicle market?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.