Texas abortion law – level 3
Protesters gathered in Texas after the most extreme abortion law in the US began.
Texas started the strictest anti-abortion law in the country, banning all abortions after about six weeks of pregnancy, which is before most women know they´re pregnant. The most extreme part of the law gives private citizens the power to sue abortion providers and anyone who helps or abets an abortion after six weeks. Citizens who win such lawsuits would get at least 10,000 dollars.
There is concern that the law will incentivize bad behavior and encourage abortion ´bounty hunters´ or people that report women who are trying to access health care in Texas. There have been cases of people outside of clinics recording license plates and taking pictures of people going into clinics.
Despite legal efforts to stop the law, the US Supreme Court failed to act on an emergency request by abortion rights groups. The Biden government said that it would fight to protect the right to abortion.
Difficult words: abet (to encourage or assist someone to do something which people may think is wrong), incentivize (to motivate someone to do something, especially by offering rewards), bounty (money or another reward).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.